The government yesterday announced that it would not grant a common amnesty to LTTE suspects/ prisoners, who recently staged a hunger strike demanding their release.
“There will be no common amnesty for over 200 prisoners, mostly Tamils, who staged a hunger strike in jails throughout the country,” Minister of National Dialogue Mano Ganesan said.
“There was a meeting held yesterday [Monday] with Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe presiding. A few decisions were taken. The Prime Minister said it was not possible to grant a common amnesty but the bail procedure could be expedited. Those who are having their cases heard and those awaiting legal action can be granted bail. The officials have been advised to explore the possibility of doing so.”
The prisoners went on a six-day protest hunger strike demanding swift procedural action including a common amnesty. The protesters claimed that they had been held for a long time with no charges being made against them. The protesting inmates ended the strike following an assurance from President Maithripala Sirisena that action would be in place to grant them redress by Nov. 7.
Courtesy:The Island

